Here’s what you’ll need
The pie filling
3 chicken breast or leftover roast chicken meat, diced
500ml chicken stock made from the carcass of the roast chicken
2 leeks, washed and diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
150g smoked streaky bacon, diced
Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley, bay leaf, thyme
The shortcrust pastry
350g plain flour
1 tbsp cold water
1. Fry chicken in large pan, add bacon, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
2. Add chicken stock, bring to boil and simmer.
3. Rub butter and flour together in a bowl. When smooth and soft add to the chicken stew, little by little, ensuring not to get any lumps.
4. Finally add the leeks and parsley, bring back to the boil, adjust the salt and pepper to taste and allow to cool.
5. Rub the butter and flour together until crumb texture. Add beaten egg and water and kneed until it begins to combine together. Flatten the pastry and put in the fridge to rest for at least 20 minutes.
6. Take a suitable pie dish and rub butter onto the inner surface and then dust with flour.
7. Roll out the pastry until 4mm thick. Keep a suitable piece of pastry for the lid. Line the pie dish with the pastry pushing the pastry around the dish ensuring that there are no gaps or holes. Leave in the fridge until you ready for the next step.
8. Spoon the chicken and leeks into the pastry lined pie dish. Egg wash the border of the pastry and put the pastry lid onto the pie. Crimp the pastry lid to the base and egg wash. Make a couple of holes in the lid of the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
9. Bake at 175°C for about 45 minutes or until light brown.